Ok guys, this one’s for you! I’ll keep it short and sweet. Here are factors that may affect male fertility that you might not have thought about.
The quality of sperm is a measure of both the sperm’s genetic integrity and its capacity for fertilizing an oocyte (egg). Poor sperm quality has been associated with abnormal sperm motility (movement) and the inability to complete the processes of fertilization. The following may negatively impact sperm and may have other negative effects on male fertility:
- Oxidative stress – think alcohol consumption, the standard american diet, and lack of exercise
- Being overweight – not only does this affect your sperm’s ability in the fertilization story, but it may affect your future child’s health!
- Smoking cigarettes or marijuana
- Prescription Drugs – especially those used regularly
- Certain antibiotics, especially when taken the 4 months before trying to conceive
- Specific pesticides and chemical solvents
- Sedentary jobs
Please remember that optimizing your fertility holistically isn’t just about the woman. It’s about both people optimizing their fertility to increase your odds in any given attempt. GO TEAM!
If you need help, schedule an appointment today.