Problems with your thyroid hormone can be an incredibly frustrating experience. Whether your thyroid is overactive or underactive, thyroid imbalances can cause problems maintaining a healthy body weight by negatively affecting your metabolism. Thyroid disorders can also lead to changes in energy, fertility issues, change in bowel habits, changes in heart rate, changes in mental health, sleeping too much or too little, and muscle tone shifts. While diet may not be able to reverse a thyroid condition, certain nutritional components can support your body while you get your thyroid hormone back to normal levels.
- Selenium is an important mineral for converting thyroid hormone into its active form
- Iodine levels are often askew in people with thyroid disorders, so iodine-rich foods can help support adequate iodine levels if you are low.
- Adaptogenic foods may help balance your thyroid hormones if they are too high or low.
- Gluten can cause your body to produce thyroid antibodies, so going gluten-free may be beneficial for improving your thyroid health
- chlorophyll can help support thyroid function
By using dietary strategies while working to normalize your thyroid hormone, you may see improvements at a faster rate while improving your energy at the same time.